The Hummelbird is probably the cheapest private plane in the world
There is at least one cheap private plane that you can buy for about 9000 €. This is the Hummelbird, produced by a company in the United States, Ohio, which is sold as a mounting kit. In short, you can mount it yourself at home, as if it were IKEA furniture. Nevertheless, it takes room, because its wingspan is 18-21 ft, and its length 13 ft 4 in. So you need a garage for two cars.
Pros and cons of this small single-seat aircraft
Let’s first look at its technical specifications:
- Reduced weight, just 310 lbs empty
- Cruise speed, 100-115 mphdepending on the type of engine
- Fuel Consumption contained, 1.6-2.0 Gal/Hr at cruising speed
- autonomy of about 260 miles, the tank having a capacity of 6 Gal
- Volkswagen Beetle’s common engine with 37 horsepower, reduced to two cylinders instead of four
- it takes off in 300 ft, but it needs 800 ft to fly over an obstacle of 45 ft, for example a tree. Watch the video below:
The advantages of this small plane:
- It is a motorized ultralight glider, category allowing its use in simplified airworthiness conditions compared to those of a light aircraft, and it requires a specific pilot license, easier to obtain .
- Like most microlights, it can take off and land on short distances from airfields, 92m to take off and 243m to land.
- It consumes less than most cars
- It sports a legendary engine known for its reliability, the Volkswagen Beetle
- The pleasure of flying a plane at a very low cost
- This is a single-seater, with little room for luggage, just a small suitcase behind the seat.
- Very light, it becomes unstable and dangerous in case of strong and even medium wind and bad weather.
- In the United States, there is a lot of room and tracks to take off, unlike in Europe, where it’s harder to operate such an aircraft.
- Its range is relatively limited.
Is it an alternative better than a private flight charter or even a car?
Not so much, considering its reduced speed. Calculating the time for trips to and from the airstrip on departure and arrival, the car remains a more convenient means of transportation than this aircraft, and it can not fly in extreme weather conditions.